Wednesday 15 March 2017

Book Review: Ordinary Grace

Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger is a fast-paced literary mystery filled with suspense and
amazon.ca
universal themes.  The story is told from thirteen-year-old Frank Drum's, point of view.  Krueger cleverly uses Frank's inherent ability to eavesdrop in order to reveal clues and secrets along the way.  Frank, his younger brother Jake, older sister Ariel, father and mother are beautifully crafted, empathetic characters.  I enjoyed the fact that they are a likeable pastor's family.  There are very few good pastor's to be found in literature.

It was good to read a page-turner again.  I fully embrace my preference for plot-driven stories, although this book also has well-rounded characters and original descriptions.  I was surprised that I solved the mystery well before the book revealed the truth.  This is a rarity for me.  I'm often so swept up in story that I'm easy to trick.  Fortunately, the story is bigger than the mystery and I was still intrigued by themes of grace, life and death.

I have purposely not revealed the heart of the mystery in my review.  I don't want to give it away.  My one complaint about this book is that the ending moves too quickly.  Grief and anger are too soon overcome after death.  It was a bit too easy, even if miracles are involved.



No comments:

Post a Comment